In the realm of transport assistance, a Parental Payment stands as a pivotal aid, designed to alleviate the financial burden on parents or guardians when arranging alternative transportation for their children. This financial aid, however, is not a full reimbursement but a contribution towards the costs incurred. Here’s what you need to know:
Defining Parental Payment
- Eligibility: The awarding of a parental payment is at the discretion of the concerned authority and cannot be chosen or swapped with other forms of transport assistance.
- Non-compensatory Nature: It is not a compensation for disruptions in transport services and lacks a legal basis for compensation during service disruptions.
- Tax Benefits: Remarkably, this payment does not affect other household benefits or income and is tax-free, as it is allocated for home-to-school transport assistance.
Payment Structure: What Can You Expect?
Monthly Parental Payment
- Target Group: Primarily for children with special transport needs attending special educational provisions.
- Calculation: The daily rate is determined based on the nearest available route from home to school, considering your child’s additional transport needs.
- Claim Process: You are required to submit a claim online each month, reflecting the actual school attendance of your child in the preceding month.
Annual Parental Payment
- Target Group: Generally for children attending mainstream schools.
- Calculation: The payment is calculated based on the distance from your home to the nearest suitable school, considering the nearest available route. Notably, a single payment is made per family, irrespective of the number of children or schools attended.
- Claim Process: You can claim online annually to receive a lump sum covering the entire school year.
- Band A (0 – 3.999 miles): £185.00
- Band B (4 – 9.999 miles): £465.00
- Band C (10 – 14.999 miles): £695.00
- Band D (15+ miles): £740.00
Claiming Your Parental Payment: A Step-by-Step Guide
Note: Claims can only be initiated if you have been formally notified by the EA regarding the award of a Parental Payment.
- Claim Submission: Utilize the Parental Payment Claim Form for annual submissions.
- Payment Window: Approved claims will be disbursed between 4th December 2023 and 23rd February 2024.
- Assistance: For queries or assistance, reach out at [email protected] or call 028 95 985959 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm).
- Submission Frequency: Claims must be lodged every month, ideally at the beginning of the subsequent month.
- Verification: The processing hinges on the verification of attendance details by the school, which might be delayed during holidays or school closures.
- Missed Deadline: In case of missed deadlines, verified claims within the payment schedule will be processed by the end of the same or the following month, depending on the receipt date.
Contact Us: For further assistance, dial 028 9598 5959 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm) or request paper applications from the Education Authority if unable to apply online.